Roast Pepper be it Red, green, yellow or orange bell peppers can be done in the oven, on the grill or in an air fryer. It can even be roasted with other ingredients like fresh tomatoes, onions and hot peppers but our emphasis will be on the red peppers for Nigerian stews/soup and for other meals.
Roasted pepper gives a deliciously different flavor that’s different from the usually boiled pepper most Nigerians are used to
It gives a thick and smooth blend so there’s no need to boil on the cooker again.
No need to worry about stirring or the pepper getting burnt over the cooker since the oven is being used.
Depending on your choice of stew, you can roast pepper in the oven to make;
Fish stew (mix of red bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, and hot pepper)
Ayamase stew (green bell peppers, onions, and hot green peppers
Tomato stew (tomatoes alone)
Beef stew and more
HOW TO ROAST PEPPER IN THE OVEN
- Preheat oven to 220C/200C fan or gas mark 7.
- Wash and cut up Red Bell peppers, tomatoes and onions into smaller bits and arrange on the baking sheet cut-side down but Leave the habanero peppers whole.
- Line them in a large, flat baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Bake in the oven for 35 – 40 mins. Halfway through the baking time, rotate, then switch the tray on top to bottom and vice versa until the skin is shriveled and lightly blistere
- When bake time is complete, Turn off heat and leave to cool in the oven. completely before peeling
- After cooling for about 15 mins Your roasted peppers are ready to be blended.
- Blend till smooth.
- Use immediately or freeze for later.
- Alternatively, slice the peppers and put them in a jar with good-quality olive oil and crushed garlic cloves, then store in the fridge for up to one week. Do not freeze the pepper
If you loved this post please, leave me a comment and share the link to this guide with family and friends.
If you also have recipe for roasted peppers, tomatoes and onions and you would like to share with us please send us a mail.